1. Figure out how long it is. Or should be. Or will be.
2. Figure out how many words you can write/edit/extrude/divine in a day without completely losing your shit.
3. Berate yourself for not being able to get as many words done as a famous person/another writer/some imaginary version of yourself.
5. Get a calculator. Or your phone. They’re the same thing.
6. Divide the number of words needed by the number of words per day OH GOD I’M ASKING YOU TO DO MATH THIS IS WHY YOU TOOK UP WRITING YOU HATE MATH.
7. Figure out how many days a week you can devote to this project. Don’t forget to include other obligations, including but not limited to: jobs, families, pets, exercise, sleep, world domination, reading, taxonomical classification of nose hairs, and banned genetic experimentation on the ants in your backyard.
8. Divide days needed by days per week. This is your number of weeks.
9. Add, like, ten percent to that number, because shit happens.
10. Add on an extra week to account for the time in the middle when you’ll realize you made a mistake four chapters ago and now have to fix everything.
11. Examine the resulting timeline. Don’t forget to include any scheduled vacations.
12. Realize you’ll be done shortly after Christmas. Christmas, 2035.
13. Drink again.