1. A scribble pad. For all those ideas that need a place to live.
2. Something you enjoy writing with. I got my first fountain pen last year, and I heart it so hard. Here she is.
Aside from being beautiful and a genuine pleasure to hold, I’ve found that it actually helped my hand pain. Less pressure to write = less pain for me. And for someone who always does their best thinking in a for-real notebook, that’s a big deal.
3. Something nice to look at. A window. Some good pictures. I have a framed blueprint of the arc reactor from Iron Man. See?
Oh, and some pictures of people or something. I don’t know who those people are. I’m definitely not married to one of them.
Dean: What the hell, Sammy?
Sam: I don’t know!
Nightmare Moon: EVERYPONY SHALL BOW TO ME.
Dean: Screw this, let’s just kill it.
5. Motivational Poster.
Or cross stitch. As the case may be.
6. Headphones. Very necessary equipment. Whether I’m listening to heavy metal, Taylor Swift, or stereoscopic thunderstorms, I don’t want to be able to hear my neighbour’s reciprocating saw while I’m working. Or his kids. They’re both loud.
7. Stress Relievers.
A d20 because I’m a nerd. Brass knuckles because I’m a nerd who can kick your ass.
8. Breath Freshener. No one likes your six-cups-of-coffee-and-two-cigarettes breath, man. No one. Not even the cat, and he licks his own butthole.
9. Places for all your shit. Corral that crap lest your desk disappear beneath a thousand thousand pen caps and paper clips.
If you avoid it, it’s not a workspace; it’s just a place you store crap you don’t use. And that’s what the pit in the basement is for.