1) Supportive Peeps. Family, friends, cats, that other cat who comes to sit on our deck in the morning…thanks for being you. And for not clawing my eyes out while I sleep.
2) Good Books. For the inspiration. Or the maddening, liver-gnawing jealousy that can pass for it sometimes.
3) Bad Books. For making me feel better about myself.
4) Coffee. For giving me the energy I need to vibrate at exactly 4.346 x 10^6534 times a second. No, 4.347 now. 4.346. 4.347. 4.346.
5) Scotch. For being scotch.
6) Music. For giving my days a rhythm, a rhyme, and a beat that I can dance to.
7) The Comment Block and Twitter Mute Buttons. For making it possible for me to ignore all the mouth-breathing pieces of shit that demand that I send them tit pics.*
8) Fountain Pens. For being elegant, timeless, and sharp enough to stab people.
9) October. For being the prettiest damn month I’ve ever seen.
10) The Delete Key. For destroying the evidence of my mistakes.
11) Readers. For making this whole writing thing seem a little less like a crazy person ranting into the void.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for?
*I like to imagine all the creepy randos that demand tit pics of me are all locked in a tiny little Rapunzel tower together every time I hit one of these buttons. The only way out is to be a decent human being, so they’re never going to see daylight again.